Appointments Enquiry Insights

Call us now on: 0208 638 5532


Overseas Domestic Worker Visa

The domestic worker visa is the primary immigration route for migrant workers coming to the UK to work within a private household for their overseas employer.


Persons living outside the United Kingdom, and planning to move here for a maximum of 6 months can take their domestic workers with them. The worker should, however, apply for Domestic Workers in a Private Household Visa, to accompany their employer in the UK.

Domestic worker visa requirements

An individual can apply for a domestic worker visa to accompany you to the UK — as either a British employer whose usual place of residence is outside the UK or as a foreign employer who is coming to the UK for a short stay under the visitor rules — if:

  • they’re aged 19 or over on the date of application
  • they currently live with you outside the UK, or in an overseas property that you use as a home for yourself on a regular basis
  • they’re a domestic worker providing a personal service relating to the running of your private households, such as a housekeeper, cleaner, cook, chauffeur or gardener, or providing personal care for you or a family member, such as a nanny or nurse
  • they’ve worked for you in this capacity for at least 12 months immediately prior to applying
  • they plan to travel with either you, your partner or any children aged under 18 on a trip to the UK which is not intended to last for more than six months
  • they intend to work for you whilst in the UK as a full-time domestic worker and intend to leave, either at the end of six months or at the same time as you, whichever is earlier.

Applicants must also prove that they can maintain and accommodate themselves in the UK without recourse to public funds, and do not fall foul of the general grounds for refusal.

Domestic worker visa supporting documents

When applying for a domestic worker visa, the applicant will need a number of documents in support of their application, including:

  • a current passport (with a blank page), or other valid travel document which satisfactorily establishes their identity and nationality
  • financial proof that they can support themselves during their stay
  • a letter from you confirming their employment as a domestic worker within your household, as well as how long they’ve worked for you and that their employment is ongoing
  • two copies of a signed written agreement between you and the applicant setting out the proposed terms and conditions of their employment whilst in the UK, in the form set out in the Appendix Domestic Worker Statement under the Immigration Rules.

The applicant must also provide one or more of the following documents to show that they meet the employment requirement:

  • bank statements or payslips showing payment of salary
  • confirmation of tax paid
  • confirmation of health insurance paid
  • their contract of employment
  • their work visa, residence permit or equivalent passport endorsement from the country in which they’re currently employed by you
  • visas or equivalent passport endorsement if they’ve travelled with you before.

Additional documents may be needed, depending on the applicant’s circumstances, together with certified translations of any documents not written in English or Welsh.

How Our Immigration Advisers Can Help Domestic Worker Visa Applicants

Our immigration advisers have experience in assisting foreign skilled workers and employers with sponsor licences, certificates of sponsorship, and skilled worker visa applications.  Our advisers are experts in immigration options and will guide you through the complex Home Office rules and policies.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our client’s needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to clients as part of a professional and friendly service.

Contact us today

Nexus Visas assists international clients in obtaining UK visas, residence and citizenship under the respective programs. Contact us to arrange an initial private consultation.

Our Regulator


Approved SELT Exam Center

Our Certifications

Nexus Visas is the trading name of Nexus Immigration Limited company registered in England and Wales with company number: 12633225. 

This firm is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner.

© Copyright 2022. All rights reserved.