Appointments Enquiry Insights

Call us now on: 0208 638 5532


Adult Dependant Relative Visa

Your adult family member can only apply to join you in the UK if they have long-term care needs and they can show they need your support in the UK.


The Adult Dependent Relative visa category is for adult dependent relatives of British citizens in the UK, persons settled in the UK, persons with limited leave to remain in the UK under Appendix EU or persons in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status, who wish to settle here.

Adult Dependant Relative Visa Requirements

In order to qualify for an Adult Dependent Relative visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • You are the parent aged 18 years or over, grandparent, brother or sister aged 18 years or over or son or daughter aged 18 years or over of a person who is in the UK and that person is over 18 and either a British citizen, settled in the UK, has limited leave to remain in the UK under Appendix EU or is a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status;
  • As a result of age, illness or disability, you require long-term personal care (that is help performing everyday tasks, e.g. washing, dressing and cooking);
  • You are unable, even with the practical and financial help of your family member in the UK, to obtain the required level of care in the country where you are living because it is not available and there is no person (close relative, home-help, housekeeper, nurse, carer, care or nursing home) in your country who can reasonably provide it, or because it is not affordable;
  • You will be adequately maintained, accommodated and cared for in the UK by your family member, without recourse to public funds (if your family member is a British citizen or settled in the UK, they will be required to sign a 5-year undertaking to this effect).

The exact requirements you will need to satisfy will vary depending on your circumstances.  You may want to speak to an immigration lawyer for expert advice.

Who can apply for an Adult Dependent Relative visa?

The Adult Dependent Relative visa route is only available to applicants outside the UK. It is not possible to switch to this route from within the UK.

Even if the person applying for an Adult Dependent Relative visa does experience the high level of ill health required by the second criterion, the third criterion is even harder to meet. Most sponsors who are able to afford to maintain and accommodate their dependent relative for five years will find it hard to prove that they cannot afford to provide care for that relative in their country of origin.

If you are granted an Adult Dependent Relative visa under the Immigration Rules then you will be permitted to enter and remain in the UK, indefinitely.

Applying for an Adult Dependent Relative visa? How our immigration advisers can help

Our immigration advisers regularly advise and assist Adult Dependent Relatives to relocate to and settle in the UK, with their family members.

Whether you require expert advice on the requirements of the Immigration Rules, an independent assessment of your prospects of qualifying for a visa or professional assistance with preparing an immigration application, our immigration barristers can help.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our client’s needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to family members of British and settled persons as part of a professional and friendly service.

Contact us today

Nexus Visas assists international clients in obtaining UK visas, residence and citizenship under the respective programs. Contact us to arrange an initial private consultation.

Our Regulator


Approved SELT Exam Center

Our Certifications

Nexus Visas is the trading name of Nexus Immigration Limited company registered in England and Wales with company number: 12633225. 

This firm is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner.

© Copyright 2022. All rights reserved.